Travel News and Information
News Feeds and Travel Information
- EDreams Odigeo acquires budgetplaces.com
eDreams Odigeo has acquired the Barcelona-based hotel booking site budgetplaces.com. Continue reading
- Guest Post: Chinese App giant is about to arrive in Europe
Attending the Phocuswright conference in Los Angeles during November 2016 provided a fascinating insight on the strategic intentions of the Chinese travel giant C-Trip. Continue reading
- ‘Talk, don’t tweet to resolve problems, Aito advises members
Aito agents have been urged not to take to social media to vent frustrations with suppliers, but revert instead to “old-fashioned conversations”. Continue reading
- Black Tomato scoops Travel Weekly Globe innovation award for Blink
The Travel Weekly Globe Travel Award 2017 for Innovation was awarded to online luxury travel agent Black Tomato for its hyper-personalised accommodation concept, Blink. Continue reading
- TripCenter says new platform will ‘transform’ group bookings
TripCenter.net has released its new group travel bookings portal, which it says will “transform” the way group travel organisations work. The online reservation platform collates a selection of approved coach and tour operators and puts them into one search system … Continue reading
- Holiday Pirates sets up UK base having laid the foundations for growth
Fast-growing German travel deals website Holiday Pirates says the foundations are in place to drive significant growth in the UK in 2017. The firm, which picked up the Travolution Rising Brand of the Year award in 2016 reflecting its rise … Continue reading
- JacTravel agrees inventory deal with Hong Kong’s largest agency
B2B wholesaler JacTravel has secured a deal with the largest travel agency in Hong Kong. Continue reading
- OTAs lose out to high street in review of turn-of-year advertising campaigns
Online travel agents didn’t fare too well in an independent review of this year’s turn-of-year advertising campaigns. As the peak season got underway, Travel Weekly asked marketing expert Steve Dunne to take a look at the TV commercials for the … Continue reading
- OTA predicts Sunday bookings to trump ‘Sunshine Saturday’
The boss of online travel agent Sunshine.co.uk says he expects Sunday to trump Saturday as the busiest day for bookings this January. Tour operators Thomson and First Choice have dubbed tomorrow Sunshine Saturday as they predict upwards of 27,500 people … Continue reading
- On the Beach boss nets £100k pay rise amid strong financial performance
The boss of online travel group On the Beach saw his annual pay rise by more than £100,000 last year. Continue reading
- Cheapflights lifts lid on trends to watch in 2017
A Trump effect in the US, greater awareness of healthy eating and the ongoing dispute over term time holidays have been picked out as trends to watch in 2017. UK metasearch and deals site Cheapflights has listed seven predictions and … Continue reading
- Abta warns of online fraud as peak booking season starts
The risks of booking with fraudulent travel companies is highlighted today in a warning issued by Abta. The alert as the peak booking period gets underway follows an increase in fake websites, online scams and non-compliant travel companies that have … Continue reading
- Traveltek helps three travel agencies with online peaks presence
Three travel firms have turned to Traveltek to help them boost their online presence ahead of the peaks trading season. UK Agents Bolsover Cruise Club, Travelbag and JTA Travel Group have signed up with the dynamic packaging provider and travel … Continue reading
- CWT Digital parent closes down brand as tech support switches to India
Brighton-based travel technology firm CWT Digital has closed down with all developer services moving to the Indian base of parent Zen3 Group. Six members of staff have been retained in Brighton to continue providing account management and sales and marketing … Continue reading
- Analysis: Twenty years of democratising travel is Expedia’s disruptive legacy
Twenty years on from when a Microsoft general manager pitched to Bill Gates the idea of creating the world’s biggest travel company, it’s as good a time as any to reflect what impact this has had. Expedia today is a … Continue reading
- Airbnb ‘could move to buy an online travel agent to help launch Flights’
Airbnb could look to buy an online travel agency to help it launch its Flights booking tool. Bloomberg Technology reports that people close to the Airbnb Flights plans say the company is considering “various routes to break into the business” … Continue reading
- Booking.com parent Priceline names Fogel as new chief executive
- Booking.com parent, the Priceline Group, has appointed Glenn Fogel as its new chief executive. Fogel, currently head of strategy and executive vice president of corporate development, will take up the role on January 1. Current Interim chief executive and non-executive chairman of the board Jeff Boyd, who served as the company’s chief executive from 2002-2013, … Continue reading Booking.com parent Priceline names Fogel as new chief executive
- Sabre names new chief exec Menke as successor to Klein
- Sean Menke has been promoted to Sabre president and chief executive to succeed Tom Klein who announced in June that he would be stepping down. Menke will move up from his current role as executive vice president of Sabre and president of Sabre Travel Network, Sabre’s largest business segment. He has only been with the business since … Continue reading Sabre names new chief exec Menke as successor to Klein
- Searchmetrics annual study finds AI is making Google results more relevant
- Specialist search platform Searchmetrics has produced its annual analysis of for 10,000 keywords and 200,000 websites, featuring in the top 20 positions on Google.com (US). This year the firm wanted to assess how the world’s dominant search engine is successfully using Artificial Intelligence using its Rankbrain system to improve the relevancy of results based on … Continue reading Searchmetrics annual study finds AI is making Google results more relevant
- Travelport extends agreement with leading Russian travel firm
- Travel Commerce Platform Travelport has announced an extended agreement with Russian travel agency and corporate travel services specialist Vipservice. As part of the agreement, Vipservice will continue to access a great variety of real time content from over 400 airlines and low cost carriers, over 200 of whom merchandise and sell branded fares and ancillaries … Continue reading Travelport extends agreement with leading Russian travel firm
- Tunisia inquest: Imperial Marhaba ‘had six working CCTV cameras’
The Imperial Marhaba Hotel – where 38 tourists were shot dead in June 2015 – had only six working CCTV cameras while other hotels had as many as 49, an inquest has heard.
- Flybe extends Cardiff-London City service amid strong demand
Flybe is to maintain a service between Cardiff and London City airport throughout the summer.
- The Travel Network Group buys Hanson Travel in Yorkshire
The Travel Network Group has acquired Pudsey-based Hanson Travel for an undisclosed sum.
- Tunisia inquests: Authorities had plans for new tourist police squadron prior to attack
Tunisian authorities had plans to introduce 400 new tourist police to patrol beaches and guard hotels, the inquests into 30 Britons massacred in Sousse has heard.
- Travelsphere and Just You to court trade under new ownership
Travelsphere and Just You will be working far closer with the trade under new owners G Adventures, founder Bruce Poon Tip has pledged.
- Eastern Airways announces service from Southampton to Rodez
Rodez in south west France is to gain an air link from Southampton airport.
- Tourico Holidays hails ‘healthy outlook’ as hotel bookings grow worldwide
Almost all of the world’s major travel regions are outpacing hotel bookings made this time last year, according to new figures.
- Comment: Jo Rzymowska tops list of Globe victors
Last week, we welcomed more than 1,200 of you to the Travel Weekly Globe Travel Awards at London’s Grosvenor House hotel to recognise the industry’s best.
- Gatwick expects to be carbon neutral by spring
Forecast made as it became first UK airport to join more than 80 companies worldwide in a scheme led by The Climate Group designed to generate an increase in the demand for renewable electricity.
- Flybe and Finnair expand codeshare partnership
A codeshare between Flybe and Finnair has been expanded to give the Helsinki-based carrier improved UK reach.
- Wow Air extends Bristol to Iceland route season
Wow Air is to maintain a low-fare route from Bristol to Iceland this summer due to demand.
- Travelodge seeks Cromer and Wisbech sites as it plans Norfolk expansion
Travelodge is planning growth in Norfolk by searching for sites for new hotels in Cromer and Wisbech.
- Reed & Mackay announces acquisition of Gray’s Travel Management
Reed & Mackay has taken over Chicago-based travel management company Gray’s Travel Management for an undisclosed sum.
- Warning issued to Brits after Cancun shootings
An alert has been issued to British travellers to the Mexican resort of Cancun after four people were reported dead in a shooting in the city centr
- Travel hopes Brexit clarity will bring end forex volatility
It is hoped greater clarity on the UK’s plans for Brexit will stabilise sterling after it slumped to a 30-year low against the dollar and euro this week.
- Holidaymakers to be repatriated from Gambia after state of emergency declared
Operators are implementing contingency plans to fly thousands of British holidaymakers home from The Gambia after a state of emergency was declared.
- Tunisia inquests: FCO stance queried by Tui legal chief
There was no concern from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office over the security at hotels in Tunisia ahead of the Sousse attack, Tui’s legal representative has argued.
- Cook Islands Tourism website revamp offers localised content
Video and new images have been added to a revamped Cook Islands Tourism Corporation consumer website.
- Debut Singapore Airlines’ Airbus 350-900 takes off from Manchester airport
Singapore Airlines’ first Airbus 350-900 transatlantic service took off from Manchester airport today.
- Abta backs UN’s sustainable tourism initiative
Abta is to support the UN Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development being unveiled in Madrid tomorrow (Wednesday).
- Canada: National parks
Canada’s national parks are free to enter this year, so where should you start? Laura French finds out.
- Cruise: Shore excursions
The shore excursions market is shifting, so don’t get left behind, writes Jane Archer.
- River cruise: The Danube
Hollie-Rae Brader waltzes along the Danube to see why it’s such a top seller for river first-timers.
- Cruise Calendar 2017
Cruise agents are in for another exciting year, so don’t miss a moment of it, writes Jane Archer.
- Cruise: Alaska
Stay on top of Alaska’s coolest cruises with Jane Archer’s guide to sailing the state.
- Australasia: Victoria
Victoria is the royal flush of Australia’s easy-going yet adventurous regions, writes David Whitley.
- 48 hours in Split
Sleep in a palace and bask on beaches in Croatia’s second city, says Ella Buchan.
- Bulgaria: Sunny Beach
Bulgaria’s Sunny Beach resort appeals to more than just bargain-hunters, finds Jeannine Williamson on a Balkan Holidays mega-fam.
- Trends for 2017: Leap in to the new year
Looking back at this time last year, who could have predicted how many surprises we had in store?
- Scandinavia: Beyond the northern lights
The northern lights aren’t the only reason to visit Scandinavia, finds Laura French.
- The US: Kentucky
From horses and steamers to bourbon and bluegrass, Laura French gets a kick out of Kentucky.
- The US: Chicago
Wind your way around the Windy City with David Whitley’s guide.
- Africa: Malawi
Malawi deserves more than a quick dip, writes Nick Redmayne.
- Greece & Cyprus: Families v couples
A trip for two or with the little ones in tow? Sun-blessed Cyprus has got the lot.
- Tried & tested: Neilson’s Retreat Beachclub
Laura French embraces her sporty side at Neilson’s Retreat Beachclub in Sivota.
- Alternative Asia
Steer second-time visitors to Asia towards the spots that will inspire them, suggests Laura French.
- Aviation: Ready for take off
Stay on top of the most interesting new flights for 2017, writes Samantha Mayling.
- Aviation: High-time fliers
Passengers are making their pounds go further with low-cost long-haul routes, writes Phil Davies.
- Myth-busting: Accessible Tourism
Accessible travel isn’t nearly as tricky as you might think, finds Tom Jamison
- The Caribbean: Nassau Paradise Island
Nassau Paradise Island is worth more than a quick shore excursion, discovers Jeannine Williamson.
- News: FCO advises against travel to The Gambia as political situation deteriorates
- The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office has changed its level of advice to The Gambia and now advises against “all but essential” travel to the country. The decision comes as Gambian president Yahya Jammeh declared a 90-day state of emergency a day before his official mandate ends. Read More
- Focus: Europe, winters and heli-ski- the best trio!
- One of the best things about winters is heli-skiing. Although, unfortunately not all the places where it snows support this awesome sport, some due to lack of the snow covered tracks required and some due to safe slopes. F Read More
- News: Walker to head market communications for Carlson Wagonlit Travel
- Carlson Wagonlit Travel has announced the appointment of Julian Walker as head of market communications and PR. Based in London, and reporting into the strategy and commerce organisation, Walker will have responsibility for market communications, communications strategy and public relations. Read More
- News: HotelInvest valued at €6.6bn by Accor
- As part of the process for the contemplated sale of a majority of HotelInvest – known as Booster project - AccorHotels has entered into discussions with potential investors. In this context, the group has disclosed the updated gross asset value of the Booster Portfolio as of December 31st. Read More
- News: Planning begins for Anantara Zanzibar Resort ahead of 2020 opening
- Anantara Hotels, Resorts & Spas has announced the development of Anantara Zanzibar Resort, expected to open in 2020 as part of the Zanzibar Amber Resort mixed-use lifestyle community. Occupying in excess of 1,000 hectares of prime Indian Ocean coastline in the north east of Zanzibar, Zanzibar Amber Resort is an integrated project which is currently under development blending contemporary lifestyle aspirations with premium hospitality and world-class facilities. Read More
- News: P&O partners with Virgin Atlantic for Caribbean cruise season
- P&O Cruises is to charter flights with Virgin Atlantic for Adonia’s winter 2017/18 Caribbean fly-cruise programme. Flights will be available from Manchester and London Heathrow with Economy, Premium Economy and Upper Class seats available for the 14 and 28-night itineraries. Read More
- News: India Tourism welcomes Gangadhar to London
- India’s ministry of tourism has welcomed the appointment of C Gangadhar as assistant director at the India Tourism Office in London. Assistant director Gangadhar will accede to the role previously filled by R Sunani, who had established a strong working relationship with the UK and Ireland travel and tourism trade. Read More
- News: Yeates to head leisure offering at Fairmont St Andrews
- Fairmont St Andrews has promoted Amy Yeates to director of golf, spa and leisure. She has been director of golf since joining the resort in 2015 and the new role will see her responsible for the spa and leisure departments. Read More
- Focus: Soulful Luxury - The Shift from the Experience Economy to the Transformation Economy
- What exactly is Soulful Luxury? The exponential growth in the luxury lifestyle market is resulting in an almost overwhelming extent of choice and competition for the consumer. So how, as a brand, do you stand out from the crowd? Read More
- News: The Oberoi Marrakech, Morocco to open in 2017
- The Oberoi Group plans to open its first Moroccan outpost in 2017 and expand its Oberoi Spa and wellness experiences within a luxury destination retreat. Located just 20 minutes from the city centre, The Oberoi Marrakech, Morocco will be situated within 25 acres of citrus orchards and olive groves, offering a peaceful sanctuary from the bustle of the Medina and spectacular views of the Atlas Mountains. Read More
- News: Jannah Resort & Villas to open in Ras Al Khaimah
- Jannah Hotels & Resorts is preparing to expand in Ras Al Khaimah, with a new property opening on February 1st. As the company looks to tap into the undersupplied market in the emirate, the Abu Dhabi-based hotel operator expects to open the 100 hotel apartment and 24 villa Jannah Resort & Villas in just under two weeks. Read More
- News: Budapest Airport reflects on record-breaking year
- An outstanding 19.2 per cent increase in passenger traffic in December alone saw Budapest Airport continue its record-breaking trend, with the Hungarian gateway welcoming 11.4 million passengers by the end of 2016 – a figure never before reached at the airport. Read More
- News: Brooker takes up chief operating officer role with Trainline
- Trainline has announced that Mark Brooker has been appointed chief operating officer, with responsibility for marketing, product and Trainline International. In this newly created role, he will report directly to chief executive Clare Gilmartin. Read More
- News: The Oberoi Beach Resort, Al Zorah, prepares for March opening
- The Oberoi Group is set to expand its presence in the UAE with the opening of The Oberoi Beach Resort, Al Zorah. Located just a 25-minute drive from Dubai, the resort is set to open in March. Read More
- News: Kyrgyzstan cargo plane crash kills 37
- A cargo plane flying from Hong Kong has crashed in Kyrgyzstan, killing at least 37 people. The Boeing 747 TC-MCL aircraft crashed as it landed amid fog at Manas airport, 25 kilometres north of the capital, Bishkek. Read More
- News: Bench Events to launch The Summit in June 2017
- Industry leaders are preparing to meet at The Summit 2017, an event designed for hospitality and tourism insiders to be held on June 6th at the Grand Connaught Rooms in London. The event falls at an unprecedented time following Brexit and other industry-wide challenges and issues, and as such is expected to attract a much wider representation of the sector. Read More
- News: Manchester Airport promotes USA options with new campaign
- Manchester Airport has launched its first multi-channel, multi-audience marketing campaign to showcase the breadth of destinations it offers to the USA. The #USADirect campaign will see the airport reach out to all areas of its catchment area that spans as far north as the Scottish Borders, south to the Midlands, east to Yorkshire, and west to Merseyside and North Wales. Read More
- News: Norwood appointed to lead Gatwick planning team
- Tim Norwood – the man who secured planning consent for Hinkley Point C, the UK’s first new nuclear power station for a generation - is to become Gatwick’s new chief planning officer. He will join Gatwick’s executive management board at the end of February and will lead a review of Gatwick’s masterplan. Read More
- News: Hotels.com unveils mobile travel concierge
- Hotels.com has introduced Hotels.com Concierge, available on iOS on its smartphone application. The service enables users to book transportation, food delivery, reservations and activities from the Hotels.com app. Read More
- News: Etihad Airways adds third daily flight to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Etihad Airways is introducing a third daily flight on the Abu Dhabi-Riyadh route, effective from the start of February. The extra services underscore the airline’s commitment to offer guests greater choice and more travel options between the capital cities of the United Arab Emirates and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Read More